Saturday 25 February 2017

Paris Week 2

Monday-13/02/17 Disneyland

After school I took the train to Disneyland!!!
The security line was quite slow but eventually I got through to Disney Studio Park and had lunch, the Darth Vader burger, which was eerily black, and tried to make a plan of attack.










The plan ended up being to find the shortest line and do that. I went in the special effects experience for the movie about an exploding asteroid. Then jumped the queue with a bunch of kids to the RockandRoll ride which was excellent.

Then I saw the stunt show which was an excellent demonstration of crazy French driving.


Then a few rides closed as I tried to join the queue so I waited for the Toy Story car swing and almost froze. I had bought a ticket to the two parks but had lost it... I was able to use the ticket on my phone to get into Disneyland proper.




There was a mass exodus and I was worried I was too late and it was closed, then hopeful that the lines would be short, then disappointed that they were not. A few of the rides were closing so I went on as many as I could.
The Haunted House definitely looked scarier at night.

While it was less fun alone, the Disneyland park is beautiful at night. The fairy lights in the trees and spotlights highlighting the castle are gorgeous. Not wanting to stay in the cold to watch the parade I went home.




 Tuesday 14/02/2017

 After school I met Allana at a train station at a pre-determined location with no phone (like in the old days!) and we took a train to Versailles. After I had a nap and looked at the time and surprised we were not there yet, I looked at the map and it looked like we were going the wrong way!! After a brief panic, we worked out that we were indeed on a train to Versailles but that it was going the long way.



Arriving around 3.30 and the palace closing at 5, we were short on time. We had a bit of a look at the carriage display then went to the palace proper.




The rooms were very opulent with an excess of gold gilt and tassels.
The famous 'Mirror Room' was an extremely extravagant hall way with beautiful big windows overlooking the gardens.




















Unfortunately, they started closing the place at this point and we were unable to look at much.


The gardens were extensive but suffering the effects of winter and had lost most of their leaves. All of the statues were covered and the fountains were not working. Not enjoying the cold, we resolved they would be better enjoyed in summer when the leaves had returned.

We took an incredibly crowded train then two metros back to Paris. By the time I got home I had taken 9 trains that day...

We went to our local cafe/restaurant and had wine, steak and creme brulee. The steak was meant to be rump but not a cut I recognise.. Still good to have proper steak again.

The big soccer game between Paris and Barcelona was on and we pretended to be interested.
Then home for a good sleep.
Wednesday 15/02/2017

After school there was a guided tour of Les Maree area. This was excellent and included a lot of history and information. The most exciting part for myself was Jewish pastry shop where Michelle and I bought a selection of goodies.






Another horse statue. I will make a page just for them all one day...

 


Thursday 16/2/17
After school there was a pronunciation session that was essentially torture. I cannot make the french R sound which contrary to what we thought, it is not made with the tongue but from the throat somehow. The teacher recommended we practice making pigeon and motor bike sounds but I still cannot do it.
I went home and started packing my bag to see if I needed to leave things with Kitti in Paris and decided I should be able to fit everything in.
I went to the shops and bought some wine, cheese and Ratatoullie for dinner. Allana was not a fan of my black mouldy goat cheese so I ate the whole thing.


 Friday 17/2/17
Last day of school! I had completely forgotten to do all of the homework so had to make it up when we were checking it in class.
After class, Michelle and I took a few metros to a fondu restaurant for lunch. It was interesting but like many of the meals in France, really should have come with instructions.. Then we walked to the Cemetery. It was beautiful and very old. Many of the crypts were older than Australia. Because there were so many very, very, very old graves, they were breaking and covered in moss.







A cute handbag at a secondhand shop

And some very real fur neck warmers...

A Parisian tow truck..



Then we caught another 3 metros to meet another girl for hot chocolate.
Then I went home and after my big cheesy lunch, I was not very hungry so I finished my wine from yesterday and another block of cheese and my host assured me that it was very french to have wine, cheese and bread for dinner.
I tried to have an early night and ensure I was prepared for Geneva tomorrow!
This is where the journey begins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment