Saturday 4 February 2017

Day 1 - Arriving in Singapore

I had an early start in Brisbane and got to the airport at 7. Nothing particularly eventful just a 15 min delay and a few tears. The plane was fairly empty so I had an aisle seat and empty seats beside me so I could stretch out. I enjoyed a few movies and had a Singapore Sling cocktail for breakfast to celebrate the start of an adventure. 

Arriving in Singapore was also hassle free. I caught the airport shuttle to the hotel. 

The foliage is truly phenomenal. It's like an organised rain forest. There are ferns growing in trees and bougainvillea everywhere. It's so lush and green. 


It is like a bizarre combination of Australia, Phuket and Japan. It has the (bad) smells and abundance of souvenirs of Thailand, the crowds and signs of Japan but also lots of English everywhere. 

Decided to go for a walk to find some food. I ended up walking through Chinatown. It was Chinese New Year on the weekend so there are beautiful decorations everywhere. 

I kept walking past Chinatown and found Ann Siang Road. This area had a few French and Italian restaurants and Tapas bars. I kept walking to the top and there was a park with a vine covered pagola and a tiny French styled cafe. I had a prawn noodle soup and another Singapore Sling. 

There are these stark contrasts between the very old and the very new. These beautiful old buildings sitting beside the very new sky scrapers.
On my way home I met a guy from America who was on a work trip and together we found the way home. 
Ready for another awesome adventure tomorrow!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment