Wednesday 1 March 2017

Zermatt

Zermatt  Wednesday 22/02, Thursday 23/02 and Friday 24/02 

My time in Zermatt was good.  The weather was quite warm and sunny.  Great weather for Skiing and Snowboarding!
 This is me all rugged up for skiing on Wednesday.
I took the funicular up to Sunnegga where there are a few 'slow slopes' and blue slopes. Apparently there are no green slopes in Europe..

So basically I went up and down the same slope 10 times.
You can enter your lift ticket into this website so you can see how many lifts you took and effectively how many times you went down the mountain.
There were some long breaks when I stopped for morning tea and lunch. 

This is my slope!
 This is the view from the chairlift back up the mountain
 This is my Beetroot Gnocchi with marmalade on top.  It was very interesting. But not as interesting as the coffee I had after which also had a shot of whiskey and schnapps.
 This restaurant is in the middle of the slopes. The only way to get there is to ski or walk- there are no cars.
This lucky dog got to hang out with his family!
 It was a very popular restaurant. There would have been a hundred ski's or snowboards.
 I took the lift to the very top of the line and had a look at the view. It was way too windy to ski- I was having trouble just walking around.
 This is another of the warehouse's. They don't look to stable to me...

Thursday- Snowboarding day!!
My lesson wasn't until 1pm so I grabbed my board and went on an adventure. I took the train to the very top station and had a look around.

This is a frozen waterfall I saw from the train.

 The view from the top.. That might be a glacier?

This is my ski graph for the second day... The long flat part is my snowboard lesson because I didn't use any lifts. 





 You can also swipe your lift ticket and stand at the indicated spot and a machine will take a photo for you.


After snowboarding I returned the board and went to the Zermatt museum and had a walk around town.
They had this model of the Matterhorn and it would light up the different paths people had used to climb it. Doesn't look like fun 

 They also had replicas of the different traditional buildings they had.  This is a model of a barn. Because it is so cold all the livestock had to go in barns in the winter


This is like a powered forklift thing they use to get stuff up the narrow windy path to the house 



On Friday I caught the glacier express to St Moritz.  It is advertised as the slowest express train in the world.   I believe it. It took 8 hours.. But some of the scenery was beautiful.




It is hard to get good photos through the glass but basically after heaps of flat areas with towns and snow there are heaps of mountains with bridges and tunnels. 

I was very lucky and Silvia my host picked me up at the train station and took me to my room. It was heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment